[Tkinter-discuss] Help: _tkinter.createfilehandler not supported for threaded Tcl

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Tue Jun 21 20:01:56 CEST 2005

Hello list,

the following error happened on a program I wrote that uses tkinter.createfilehandler()
to catch the output of a shell command on someone else's box (for me it runs fine):

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1345, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "/usr/local/bin/pyfloppy", line 293, in start
    self.format()
  File "/usr/local/bin/pyfloppy", line 303, in format
    self.mkfilehandler(self.pp, self.get_msg)
  File "/usr/local/bin/pyfloppy", line 379, in mkfilehandler
    tkinter.createfilehandler(fileobject, READABLE, function)
RuntimeError: _tkinter.createfilehandler not supported for threaded Tcl

When I googled for the traceback one of the results said:

> If your Tcl installation is threaded, you should use
> tkapp.createfilehandler instead.

however (on my box) I cannot find tkapp anywhere (or should it be _tkinter.tkapp ?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Michael