[Tkinter-discuss] canvas.create_image

Todd Lericos t.lericos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 06:50:44 CEST 2005

Hello all,

I'm new to the list and to Python. It has been tough going, but alot of
fun.

Here is my problem. I am trying to display an image on canvas. I was
searching to the list for similar problems. It does seem to be a common
problem. I tried many of the suggested fixes. For example, heading off
garbage collection of the image...etc. No dice.

Can someone take a look at the code and let me know if they see any
pitfalls I am stepping in.

Thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Todd

P.S. Please not the program in not complete yet. Thus some variables
passed to MakeGui go nowhere. I know this already.

#!/usr/local/python/bin/python

import os, sys, string
import pickle, time
from Tkinter import *
import Image

class MakeGui:

    def __init__(self, tooltitle, filedir, filetype, plotelem, filelist):

        self.row = 0

        # Creating the Window and Row/Column stuff
        self.root = root = Tk()
        root.minsize(300,200)
        root.rowconfigure(0, weight=1)
        root.columnconfigure(0,weight=1)
        root.columnconfigure(1,weight=2)

        # Creating the Title Label
        Label(root, text=tooltitle, font='bold').grid(columnspan=2)
        self.row = self.row + 1

        #Create the Canvas
        self.tfile =  filedir + 'image.' + filetype
        print self.tfile
        self.Image = PhotoImage(file = self.tfile)
        self.canvas = Canvas(root, width=508, height=509)
        self.canvas.create_image(250, 250, image = self.Image)
        self.canvas.grid(columnspan=2)
        self.row = self.row + 1

tooltitle = 'Lightning Climatology Viewer'
filedir = '/data/local/ltgdata/images/'
filetype = 'gif'
plotelem = ['500mb Map','Lightning Z','Lightning FWZ','Month Stats']
filelist =[("Type 1", "U01"),
                   ("Type 2", "U02"),
                   ("Type 3", "U03"),
                   ("Type 4", "U04"),
                   ("Type 5", "U05"),
                   ("Type 6", "U06"),
                   ("Type 7", "U07"),
                   ("Type 8", "U08"),
                   ("Type 9", "U09"),
                   ("Type 10", "U10"),
                   ("Type 11", "U11"),
                   ("Type 12", "U12"),
                   ("Type 13", "U13"),
                 ]

MakeGui(tooltitle, filedir, filetype, plotelem, filelist)
mainloop()