[Tkinter-discuss] Re: Modal dialog behavior

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Tue Mar 22 22:42:07 CET 2005

In article <20050322212231.0220ac98.klappnase at web.de>,
 Michael Lange <klappnase at web.de> wrote:

> I encoutered a strange behavior of modal dialog windows on linux, which
> depends on the window manager I use.
> I use a message box to notify the user that a process that takes a while has
> finished.
> Now when I switch to another workspace while this process is running, the
> dialog box
> should ideally pop up on the current workspace; this worked as expected with
> tk-8.3.3,
> now with tk-8.4.5 I get the following:

I don't have a direct answer for you. Barring anybody else having one...

Several things you can try:
- Update to the current Tk (8.4.9). (You could search the tk bug
database first.)
- Roll your own dialog box. How are you creating it anyway?
tkMessageBox? There are some "interesting" differences between Tkinter's
dialog boxes and the code suggested in Welch's "Practical Programming in
Tcl and Tk". I don't remember the details at the moment, but after
running into nasty problems with tkSimpleDialog.askfloat I ended up
writing my own dialog boxes*, mostly following Welch but with a few
changes that proved desirable for MacOS X aqua.

-- Russell

*RO.Wdg.InputDialog in the RO package
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/rowen/ROPython.html>. You would
probably need to make a few changes for a message-only dialog box.