[Tkinter-discuss] Python 2.1 with tcl/tk 8.4.5

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed May 11 20:59:18 CEST 2005

Mathieu Cousy wrote:

> For different reasons I need to build a python interpreter 2.1 linked
> with tk 8.4.5 library (I am working on a Debian Woody system). The whole
> python building process succeeded but when I try to run the tkinter demo
> (Demo/tkinter/guido/AttrDialog.py) an exception is raised on any events
> (mouse pressed, key pressed...). The exception is :
>
> ValueError: invalid literal for int(): ??
>
> Is there any kind of incompatibility between these versions ?
> Any hints, docs, links etc would be much appreciated.

did you try googling for the error message?

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-July/171497.html

(in recent versions of Tk, the authors changed a field that was
defined to hold "an undefined integer value" from using an un-
defined integer value to "??".  The best solution for your case
is to hack Tkinter.py; look for the "_substitute" method and
tweak it to match the newer versions).

</F>