[Tkinter-discuss] Trouble installing PyBWidgets

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Sep 13 11:48:30 CEST 2005

gilcneth at earthlink.net wrote:

> I have tried running setup.py and receive the following error:

> usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
> or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
> or: setup.py --help-commands
> or: setup.py cmd --help
>
> error: no commands supplied

> I guess I need to provide some additional commands,
> but I am not sure which commands I should provide.

hint:

python setup.py --help-commands

Standard commands:
  build            build everything needed to install
  build_py         "build" pure Python modules (copy to build directory)
  build_ext        build C/C++ extensions (compile/link to build directory)
  build_clib       build C/C++ libraries used by Python extensions
  build_scripts    "build" scripts (copy and fixup #! line)
  clean            clean up output of 'build' command
  install          install everything from build directory
  install_lib      install all Python modules (extensions and pure Python)
  install_headers  install C/C++ header files
  install_scripts  install scripts (Python or otherwise)
  install_data     install data files
  sdist            create a source distribution (tarball, zip file, etc.)
  register         register the distribution with the Python package index
  bdist            create a built (binary) distribution
  bdist_dumb       create a "dumb" built distribution
  bdist_rpm        create an RPM distribution
  bdist_wininst    create an executable installer for MS Windows

given your subject line, "install" might be what you want.

reading the generic installation guide can also be a good idea:

    http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html

</F>