[Tkinter-discuss] Look of the Tk apps in Debian Linux

Cameron Laird Cameron at Phaseit.net
Thu Feb 16 02:08:07 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 04:33:41PM +0100, Jakub Sporek wrote:
			.
			.
			.
> I'm on Debian Linux and I'd like to know where can I
> centrally change the font and maybe the whole look if it's
> possible of Tk applications. I run some applications that
> uses Tk (IDLE - The Python IDE for example) and they all
> looks the same, so I think that this should change centrally
> somewhere.
			.
			.
			.
There are a couple of aspects to this:
A.  Who can report on when Tkinter as a whole or IDLE
    in particular will be Tile-ified?
B.  You want to learn about "the option database" <URL:
    http://effbot.org/zone/tkinter-option-database.htm >.
    For even more immediate encouragement, try
      import Tkinter
      root = Tkinter.Tk()
      root.option_add('*font', ('verdana', 30, 'bold'))
      Tkinter.Label(text = "This is some text.").pack()
C.  B. presents a per-application approach.  As Tkinter
    is a well-behaved X11 toolkit, you can also read up
    on the X11 option database (start with `man xrdb`).

Jeff and Fredrik are likely to expand these remarks.  The subject
deserves its own Wiki page ...