[Tkinter-discuss] Look of the Tk apps in Debian Linux

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Thu Feb 16 03:15:57 CET 2006

Cameron Laird wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 04:33:41PM +0100, Jakub Sporek wrote:
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
>> I'm on Debian Linux and I'd like to know where can I
>> centrally change the font and maybe the whole look if it's
>> possible of Tk applications. I run some applications that
>> uses Tk (IDLE - The Python IDE for example) and they all
>> looks the same, so I think that this should change centrally
>> somewhere.
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> There are a couple of aspects to this:
> A.  Who can report on when Tkinter as a whole or IDLE
>     in particular will be Tile-ified?
> B.  You want to learn about "the option database" <URL:
>     http://effbot.org/zone/tkinter-option-database.htm >.
>     For even more immediate encouragement, try
>       import Tkinter
>       root = Tkinter.Tk()
>       root.option_add('*font', ('verdana', 30, 'bold'))
>       Tkinter.Label(text = "This is some text.").pack()
> C.  B. presents a per-application approach.  As Tkinter
>     is a well-behaved X11 toolkit, you can also read up
>     on the X11 option database (start with `man xrdb`).
>
> Jeff and Fredrik are likely to expand these remarks.  The subject
> deserves its own Wiki page ...

There's a Tkinter/Tile wrapper here:

http://mfranklin.is-a-geek.org/docs/Tile/index.html

I'm undertaking development of a Python application that will  make use
of this module, and will contribute documentation on using Tkinter/Tile
(Tileinter?) at the appropriate time.

I can't sepak for IDLE.

Kevin

- --