[Tkinter-discuss] Pmw problem in cygwin with Tkinter

Stewart Midwinter stewart.midwinter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:41:38 CET 2006

On 1/9/06, Mohammad Tayseer <m_tayseer82 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> i dont know why will you rewrite the Pmw part and not changing the console
> commands themselves. i rewrote the commands in the code snippet you sent
> before to use windows commands and it worked

Perhaps I wasn't very clear on the nature of the problem.  As Mohammed
states,  my example apps work fine under Windows.  But those little
apps aren't part of the unix app. I'm trying to create a Tkinter
administrative app for that unix app, and communicate with it via
subprocess, then display information in Tkinter widgets, rather than
force the user to use vi as his interface!   The problem that I'm
finding is that the Pmw widgets don't behave properly when run in
cygwin.  I want my Tkinter admin app to run in cygwin, like the unix
app, to simplify communication with the unix app.

since by definition I have windows available on the workstation in
addition to cygwin, perhaps my approach should be to write my admin
app using the Windows version of Tkinter. That way Pmw will function
properly.  However, I'll have to then start cygwin via subprocess and
send additional chained commands to cygwin to get the unix app to run.
I'll think about that approach for a while..