[Tkinter-discuss] Drawing waveform on a Canvas

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Thu Jan 19 01:29:40 CET 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:41:26 -0800 (PST)
Mohammad Tayseer <m_tayseer82 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You have two problems
> 1. Reading a sound file
> 2. drawing the waveform
>
> I solved the 2nd problem only. This is a code that draws a random waveform.

Thanks Mohammad,

you are right, the line item looks very good.
The problem is that I have a real large number of coords here, so my 30-minute test file
at a resolution of 100 pixels / second takes more than 20 seconds to draw and then it sucks up more
than 20% of my computer's memory (says top).
I haven't tried zooming yet...

I think using an image may be a better chance, so I tried to use the canvas to create a postscript
that I could then convert into a gif, however the canvas wrote a 10 MB ps file that made convert crash
when trying to open it.

Any ideas?