[Tkinter-discuss] Hyperterm type program and text box

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Mon Jan 23 19:37:31 CET 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:06:53 -0500
"Michael Solem" <msolem at linuxmail.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to create a program to talk to the com port
> (something like hyperterminal or minicom).  The display should be a
> box that outputs characters as they come in (from the port), and
> accepts characters as input, which it sends to the port.  Characters
> entered on the screen should not be shown on the screen (which is the
> default behavior of hyperterm and minicom).
>
> I was planning on using the Tkinter Text widget for this, but see no
> way of having the user enter data, without it showing up on the
> screen.  Is there a way to do that?  Is there another widget that can
> do it?

Hi Michael,

you need to bind a special callback to the KeyPress events, like this one:

>>> from Tkinter import *
>>> root = Tk()
>>> text = Text(root)
>>> text.pack(fill=BOTH, expand=1)
>>> def keypress(event):
...     print event.keysym
...     return 'break'
>>> text.bind('<Any-KeyPress>', keypress)

As you see in the example you can use the event.keysym attribute to catch the character
that would have been entered into the Text widget and the return "break" statement to
prevent the event from being delivered to the Text widget's insertion mechanism.

I hope this helps