[Tkinter-discuss] application busy problem

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Wed Jun 21 22:54:46 CEST 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:08:50 +0200
Olivier Feys <olivier.feys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Tkinter to create an application which parses some huge text
> files (from 50kb to 120Mb). When the files are being parsed, I would
> like to forbid the user to do anything else and to show the application
> is busy(like an icon that turns over itself), because when he clicks on
> anything, the application fails.

Hi Olivier,

you probably want a dialog window that grabs all events:

    top = Toplevel()
    top.transient(rootwindow)
    top.grab_set()
    Label(top, text="Computing, please wait...").pack()

The call to transient() makes the dialog always stay on top of the application's root window,
grab_set() prevents any events from being delivered to other windows in your app.

I hope this helps

Michael