[Tkinter-discuss] Trouble quitting a Tkinter app on Windows

Cameron Laird Cameron at phaseit.net
Fri Mar 17 20:05:00 CET 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:54:56AM -0800, Russell E. Owen wrote:
			.
			.
			.
> I have a Python/Tkinter application that runs on various platforms. When
> the user selects "quit", I call root.quit() or sys.exit(0) (newer vs.
> older version of the code). This works on all platforms except Windows.
>
> On Windows when the user quits (which calls quit on the root toplevel),
> it always exits with the following error
> dialog:
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way.
> Please contact the application"s support team for more information.
>
> A google search shows that others have had this problem -- especially
> PMW users -- but nobody seems to understand why. I posted to the tk
> newsgroup and was told that tk users don't see this problem, so it may
> be a Tkinter bug.
>
> One user suggested calling root.destroy() first. That does work but it
> takes a surprisingly long time as each toplevel in turn is destroyed.
> (It is nearly instantaneous on other platforms, but also unnecessary).
>
> My application (a telescope control GUI) has many toplevels, uses tkFont
> objects to manage display fonts and has a few background tasks (that use
> "after"). I don't know if any of these are relevant, but I certainly get
> the feeling that simpler applications don't show the problem.
>
> Any ideas? Should I file a Tkinter bug report?
			.
			.
			.
1.  Telescope control--'sounds neat.  When'll it show
    up in Conference proceedings?
2.  I think it deserves a fault report.  Can you
    isolate it more?  That is, I don't see the symptom
    with the simplest possible Tkinter programs, under
    Windows, but you do, so how do we identify what's
    different about your application?