[Tkinter-discuss] A Hello and a Question

Cameron Laird Cameron at phaseit.net
Wed May 3 14:17:02 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:53:31AM +0000, Peter Lacroix wrote:
			.
			.
			.
> Hello, I'm new to this list. I've come in search of some answers to
> questions I hope I can articulate enough to be understood.
>
> I would like to know how one would create a button that when clicked would
> clear the entire set of widgets (including the clicked button itself) and
> then display a whole new set of widgets.
>
> The goal is to write a program that has about 6 different steps the user
> goes through to submit information. So for instance the first frame would
> welcome the user and display a "Click to Continue" button. When the button
> is clicked, the widgets would all disappear and be replaced by a new set of
> widgets. When these widgets are finsihed being used and the "Continue" or
> "Submit" button is clicked, again a new set of widgets would replace the
> old...and so on.
>
> I am lost as to how I would design a class(?) that would carry out such a
> task. Ultimately, when the last set of widgets is finished, the program
> would revert back to the first set of widgets.
>
> Is what I am asking clear? Any help would be appreciated.
			.
			.
			.
It's certainly feasible.  Before answering the technical
question, I recommend a moment more of discussion.

*My* first reaction to your description is that your users
might like a tabbed display, where finishing the interaction
with one tab automatically activates the next.  How does
that sound to you?  My general experience is that it's
disquieting to users to erase an entire application display,
to start over with a new set of widgets; they do better with
an indication of an unchanging "foundation" that structures
the display and interaction.