[Tkinter-discuss] A Hello and a Question

Peter Lacroix pjlacroix at hotmail.com
Wed May 3 17:21:03 CEST 2006

Thanks to Olivier for the sample structure. I think I understand it although
I'm not very familiar with 'lambda'. Now Cameron has brought up a good
point. By the way, this is an end-of-semester project for students. I am
teaching Python for the first time to a high school class - so my knowledge
is certainly limited. We have created a few simple programs but all have
been command line. So ultimately the goal is simply to learn what GUIs are
and play around, not to create anything professional. But Cameron's point is
interesting. That is, have a set of tabs that display where in the process
of the program the user is. This way they know how far they easily have a
visual hold on how far they have to go and how far they've been. Of course,
these tabs would not be clickable. I would want the buttons to cause the
switch. I think I like that idea. Does it fit with the structure that
Olivier offered below?

import Tkinter as tk
def change_frame(i, j):
    frames[i].pack_forget()
    frames[j].pack()

frames = []

r = tk.Tk()

#frames that you fill with your widgets
f1 = tk.Frame(r)
tk.Button(f1, command=lambda :change_frame(0,1),text='go to step 1').pack()

f2 = tk.Frame(r)
tk.Button(f2, command=lambda :change_frame(1,2),text='go to step 2').pack()

f3 = tk.Frame(r)
tk.Label(f3, text = 'step2').pack()

frames = [f1,f2,f3]

f1.pack()