[Tkinter-discuss] Method to call when gui is first displayed

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 01:20:47 CET 2006

I'm porting a cmd line app to a tkinter gui app.
The program displays 2 menu items, and a status bar, when the program is
initially launched.

I need to kick off a function which goes out to the lan, performs some CVS
operations which take a variable amount of time, depending on network
activity.

I don't want to do the CVS stuff before the gui is displayed because it
looks like the program is hung.

I would like to use the program status bar to keep the user informed about
what is going on.

I want to call the function which talks to CVS after the gui is displayed,
but without formal having to do anything.

After I call mainloop(), the gui is displayed, but then nothing happens
until the user selects a menu option. (as it should be).

Is there a tk method that I can register a callback with that indicates the
gui is displayed, and mainloop is running?