[Tkinter-discuss] How to dettach a Toplevel

mkieverpy at tlink.de mkieverpy at tlink.de
Thu Nov 30 11:46:45 CET 2006

Sorin Schwimmer wrote:
>Hi Michael, While the two toplevel solution will work nicely, I'm not sure how would I close the main >application (at one point I want to be able to do so). As for the other suggestion, that was my first >approach, but it doesn't work. I don't know why, and sometime I'll have to find out, as I'll need later in >my project. What happens is that when the users logs in (no authentication required) I have a small >script in KDE Autostart to issue an xhost local:root allowing the daemon to show his stuff. The daemon >waits until KDE is up and running and xhost was executed, then it does a root=Tk(screenName=':0.0') >Nothing comes on. If I fire up a Python interpreter and do the things manualy, it works flawless: I have a >graphic window controlled by root, can populate it, withdraw it, iconify it, destroy it... It proves that from >an X server standpoint things are set correctly, but my daemon does something wrong (it may be that >the window is created and destroyed immediately,
  I don't know). Thanks for your ideas, and give me >more if possible Sorin

Do you use a normal process or really a daemon?
When using a daemon it might have something to do
with the restricted process environment which prevents
python/tcl from starting or something like that.
Try to get easy things to work first, like create an empty
file from python in a place where everybody is allowed to.

Hope this helps,
Matthias Kievernagel
(mkiever.at.web.dot.de)