[Tkinter-discuss] about getting cursor's position

V H haofast2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 20 15:31:33 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have created a Text on a Frame. A button "Mark" can change the color of
the second line in the Text.  When the cursor moves to the second line, some
explaination is needed. I use Toplevel for that.

Now I prefer the Toplevel window is generated besides the cursor. How can I
get the position of the cursor? It should not be the relative position
because the fuction geometry() uses the absolute one.

Thanks in advance.

best regards,
Weining

Following is the code:

from Tkinter import *

class App:
  def __init__(self, master):
    frame = Frame(master)
    self.master = master
    self.text = Text(frame)
    self.text.insert(END,"line1\n")
    self.text.insert(END,"line2\n")
    self.text.insert(END,"line3")
    self.text.pack()
    b = Button(frame, text = 'Mark', command= self.markit).pack()
    frame.pack()

  def markit(self):
    line2= self.text.get(2.0, 3.0)
    h1= 'h11'
    self.text.tag_config(h1,foreground= 'blue', wrap= WORD, font = 'system
12 bold')
    self.text.tag_bind(h1, "<Enter>", self.show_warning)
    self.text.tag_bind(h1, "<Leave>", self.hide_warning)

    self.text.delete(2.0, 3.0)
    self.text.insert(2.0, line2, h1)

  def show_warning(self, event):
    self.win = Toplevel(self.master)
    l = Label(self.win, text = "Some error.").pack()
    self.win.geometry('+400+200')

  def hide_warning(self, event):
    self.win.destroy()

root = Tk()