[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter and IDLE

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Fri Oct 20 19:28:30 CEST 2006

Stewart Midwinter wrote:
> On 10/20/06, dblank at brynmawr.edu <dblank at brynmawr.edu> wrote:
>>
>> What is the best way to popup a non-application (not running mainloop) Tk
>> window in IDLE?
>
> Did you try Toplevel?

So, specifically, the issue is that if I enter these commands:

import Tkinter
tl = Tkinter.Toplevel()

I get different behavior depending on whether Idle is running with
subprocesses (normal) or without subprocesses (with the -n). With
subprocesses, the only way that I have figured out to make the window
appear is to issue:

tl.mainloop()

but then I loose the ability to enter commands in the Idle window.

Is there code that will make Tkinter run the same (and show the window)
under both versions?

-Doug