[Tkinter-discuss] Opening Tkinter widgets in remote displays

Jose Hales-Garcia jose at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 30 20:32:50 CET 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 9:54 AM, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> what platform are you running on?

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.8 on both client and server.

I've double checked my settings.  In SSH I have X11Forwarding turned
on.  The .Xauthority file contains the correct host information.  I
can check with the R statistics package that it works.

> if you're using Unix, Tkinter is an X11 client application; just set
> DISPLAY to the right thing and run your program as usual.

I've tried setting the DISPLAY to the remote server's (from the
command line and within Python as suggested) but I get the following
error message...

kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of
session allowed for root and console user only
INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the
WindowServer.Abort

I'm running the pre-built Mac OS X Python (v2.5).

Jose