[Tkinter-discuss] Opening Tkinter widgets in remote displays

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Oct 30 21:22:06 CET 2006

Jose Hales-Garcia wrote:

>> if you're using Unix, Tkinter is an X11 client application; just set
>>
>> DISPLAY to the right thing and run your program as usual.
>
> I've tried setting the DISPLAY to the remote server's (from the command
> line and within Python as suggested) but I get the following error
> message...
>
> kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of
> session allowed for root and console user only

that error message means exactly what it says: the Mac X server is set
up to only accept connections from root and the logged in user.  the net
is full of people having the same problem with all sorts of apps, but a
little googling wasn't enough to reveal a workaround.

I suggest checking with your favourite mac os x forum.

</F>