[Tkinter-discuss] Minimizing a Python/Tk application

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 10:25:05 CEST 2006

On 16/09/06, Gerardo Juarez <gerardo at computo-industrial.com.mx> wrote:

> An another question: how can I make this application appear on the tool
> bar, next to the volume control, anti-virus software and similar
> applications? I have searched and cannot find anything related.

I was searching for that also but I believe it's impossible with tkinter
according to this :
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-September/123257.html

> from Tkinter import *
> root = Tk()
> root.withdraw()                         # Hide the window
> root.deiconify()                                # Unhide the window

I'm using also deiconify for a windows app. It worked fine as long as I was
in the "main thread" but I had random problems when using it from another
thread (which I couldn't avoid).

I'm trying/learning wxpython now for a proper systray control and to see how
the "deiconification from another thread" behave.

francois