[Tkinter-discuss] Minimizing a Python/Tk application

Metz, Bobby W, WWCS bwmetz at att.com
Wed Sep 20 19:08:53 CEST 2006

Yes, manipulating Tk from a child thread is problematic and can't be
done directly, e.g. try launching a Dialog box from a thread and see
what happens.  One trick I've done in the past is to pass a reference to
the parent to the child thread, then when I want to update the GUI in
the parent, say a status message line, I simple set the variable behind
it using the parent reference.  If you're going to have multiple threads
updating that could get tricky I suppose considering the variable
locking, but I'm sure someone out here has done it.