[Tkinter-discuss] Minimizing a Python/Tk application

Gerardo Juarez gerardo at computo-industrial.com.mx
Wed Sep 20 19:36:20 CEST 2006

I just found it! What I want is to run the application minimized and to
see the controls only when I need to reconfigure its behaviour. I searched
for the function that you mention and found that it must be iconify().
Like this:

root = Tk()
root.iconify()

withdraw() removes the window from the screen altogether and probably is
the right choice for a Toplevel window you don't need anymore, but which
can be recalled with a button from the main window that's still displayed.
Which is what you were talking about.

Thanks for the tip.

Gerardo