[Tkinter-discuss] Shortcut for trying Tcl/Tk 8.5 with Mac Python?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Fri Dec 21 20:08:44 CET 2007

I'd like to try out Aqua Tcl/Tk 8.5 with my Python* and was hoping for a
quicker way than building a new python from source.

I didn't expect this to work, but I tried modifying _tkinter.so so it
found Tck/Tk 8.5. Not surprisingly "import Tkinter" then refused to load
complaining about finding 8.5 instead of 8.4 in the headers. Better that
than mysterious crashes!

I suspect the recipe is to build a new version of python from source and
save the _tkinter.so. Then I can switch back and forth between Tcl/Tk
versions by just swapping that one file.

Is there an easier way? Or has somebody already built a _tkinter.so for
Aqua Tcl/Tk 8.5 that they'd be willing to share? If not I'll build one
and make it available.

-- Russell

*If you are wondering "why the hurry?" it's because my application does
not work well with any of the available universal versions of Tcl/Tk and
I really want to release the app as a universal binary.

All universal Tcl/Tk prior to 8.4.16 sometimes have an offset in the
reported mouse position which causes grief in a graphical offsetter.
8.4.16 seems to fix that, but introduces a nasty memory leak (which a
recent poster traced to the Text widget related to deleting and adding
lines).