[Tkinter-discuss] TkAqua question

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sat Dec 22 17:53:20 CET 2007

Michael O'Donnell wrote:

>  I am a bit confused. Why should p2app look for Tcl and Tk anyway?
> Would it not be  up to the executable produced by py2app to look
> for these? And wouldn't that be part of the code of Tkinter?

py2app has various flags that you can set specifying what to include. If
your app uses Tkinter, py2app by default looks for the Tcl/Tk frameworks
and wraps those up into the final application bundle.

> If I package the tcl and tk frameworks using Py2app, then they
> end up within my application, with a pathname relative to the
> application. So how does Tkinter, when it runs within my application,
> know where to find the frameworks? It has a set of default
> locations to look I believe? Don't I need to tell it where to look?
> By setting an environmental veriable or such?

py2app executes a Mac command-line tool (install_name_tool) that
modifies where the final wrapped executable looks for its libraries. It
handles all this stuff for you, in other words.

If you want to find out more about how py2app works, look at its
documentation--it has a lot of options.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin