[Tkinter-discuss] Dynamic output of "DOS" command in tkinter

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Fri Apr 25 08:48:31 CEST 2008

AbsoluteMatt wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> This is my first post here and my first time developing a tkinter app - so
> please go easy:-) I have to say I have found it really nice so far, but am
> struggling on one point.
> What I want to be able to do is take a system command and "pipe" it to a
> scrollable window, however I would like it to follow the execution of the
> command dynamically. The command that I am running is not one that will
> execute in a few seconds allowing me to send the result to a scrollable
> window - which I understand how to do.
> The link below shows an example of someone doing this:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-September/281344.html
> What I am actually doing is running an oracle IMP command and would like to
> follow the imported tables/rows etc from the app
> Any suggestion about how to display in this way do this would be much
> appreciated.
> Many Thanks,
> Matt

Hi Matt,

this is not so much a tkinter problem, more a subprocess / popen thing :)

I've done this in the past with a simple while 1: loop...

proc = os.popen("imp big_oracle_xport_file.exp")

while 1:
     line = proc.readline()
     if not line:

of course this will block and wait for the command to write another line
to stdout... I'm sure there are better ways to do this by now, its been
a while since I looked at the popen family (subprocess module now too I
think...?) in any case the main python list would be my next stop after
I checked the python doc's for popen, subprocess, command etc etc :)

signature file not found, must be something I ate