[Tkinter-discuss] Creating a new widget class

vtcodger donaldkenney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:23:34 CEST 2008

Ron -- Thanks, I thought I was doing about what you describe, but apparently
not as the tk attribute for the class objects is not getting set up.  I'm a
bit hazy on what the tk attribute does (other than making things work) and
can't find much about it via Google.  I'll go back and subclass from frame
rather than trying to multiply inherit from Frame, List, and Scrollbar.

Peter -- Thanks also.  I was aware of the PMW scrolledlist.  And it works
fine.  But I don't want to use any components that are not part of the
standard Python distribution.  Should have mentioned that, but the post was
getting overlong.

===

As a practical matter, I discovered after I posted, that I can access my
frame, list (and probably scrollbar as well) methods from the main program
via their objects.  That is to say that the way I did it, a scrolled list
object sl doesn't have a directly usable grid or insert method, but
sl.f.grid(... or sl.l.insert seem to work fine.

What bothers me, isn't that I can't get things to work.  It's that I clearly
don't understand what is going on.