[Tkinter-discuss] Unicode on Mac (yet again)

Fred Mailhot fred.mailhot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 03:18:48 CEST 2008

Greetings,

I've followed some of the discussion on the list concerning the
problem of getting some Unicode characters to display properly. As
suggested in a few messages, I've recompiled my python to link to
Tcl/Tk8.5. I know this has succeeded, as running Tkinter._test() pops
up a dialog confirming that I'm using 8.5.

Unfortunately, there still seem to be problems displaying Unicode
characters properly. The following snippet demonstrates (disclaimer:
I'm not a Tkinter guru by any means)...

import Tkinter
root = Tkinter.Tk()
w1 = Tkinter.Button(root, text=u"\u026E", font=("Lucida Grande",24))
w2 = Tkinter.Label(root, text=u"\u026E", font=("Lucida Grande",24))
w1.pack()
w2.pack

The Button displays the correct character (a digraph from the
International Phonetic Alphabet), whereas the Label displays what
looks like a Chinese kanji character...the same problem as in 8.4.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

For the record, I'm running OSX 10.4.11 on a PPC Mac.

Thanks for any advice or pointers,
Fred.