[Tkinter-discuss] initial state of radiobutton

Michael O'Donnell michael.odonnell at uam.es
Fri Aug 15 01:38:48 CEST 2008

Dear Iain,

    Makes it easier to test your code if you provide
a standalone example.

I modified your code as follows to get it to run:

import Tkinter as tk
master = tk.Tk()
settings = tk.LabelFrame(master, text="Settings")
settings.grid(row=0, column=0)
tk.Label(settings, text="Angular Units: ").grid(row=0, column=0, sticky=tk.E)
angles = tk.StringVar(value='radians')
tk.Radiobutton(settings, text="Degrees", variable=angles,
value='degrees').grid(row=0, column=1)
tk.Radiobutton(settings, text="Radians", variable=angles,
value='radians').grid(row=0, column=2)
master.mainloop()

...and on my Macosx running python 2.5.2 it runs fine, with buttons selected.

My bet is that angles is not in fact set, or is not set
to one of 'degrees' or 'radians'. Put a print statement to
see what value  __main__.angles has at the point of
setting the variable angles.

Mick