[Tkinter-discuss] appearance troubles with Pmw NoteBook

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 21:45:44 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Levi Starrett <levi at roxsoftware.com> wrote:
> hi. i'm having troubles with the appearance of my Pmw NoteBook. Specifically
> i am having trouble with the color of all the empty space and how to make my
> tabs larger. anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I haven't used Pmw widgets before this, but why not try them after
coming back from the beach ?
So, all this empty space you refer is this on the right of tabs and
the border around the notebook ? Supposing it is, then you will want
to access it by getting the hull component of the Notebook widget and
then configure it as you like. For the second part of the question, I
didn't find a clear way on how to change the tabs size, so I "cheated"
by looking into PmwNotebook to see how it controls the tabs sizes,
this is what I came up (including the first part of your question):

import Tkinter
import Pmw

root = Tkinter.Tk()

nb = Pmw.NoteBook()
# change the color of "all the empty space"
Pmw.Color.changecolor(nb.component('hull'), background='purple')
nb.add("test")
nb.add("oi")
nb.pack(expand=True, fill='both')

# makes all tabs the same size and change their color
for page in nb._pageAttrs.iterkeys():
    nb._pageAttrs[page]['tabreqwidth'] = 80
    # you could access the 'tabbutton' property through the tab
method, but since
    # I'm already accessing nb._pageAttrs...
    Pmw.Color.changecolor(nb._pageAttrs[page]['tabbutton'], 'purple3')

root.mainloop()

> -Levi

-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves