[Tkinter-discuss] Easy way to get a file explorer?

Alexnb alexnbryan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:36:33 CEST 2008

Thanks, this is exactly what I am looking for, but I can't find much useful
documentation on it. So I want to have it give me a string of the path of
the file they selected, which seems simple, but I am having issues. for
example:

path = tkFileDialog.askopenfile()
print path

it prints this:

<open file 'C:/Documents and Settings/Alex/My Documents/My
Music/101-u2-instant_karma.mp3', mode 'r' at 0x00C3EE78>

but all I want is the actual path. So how can I do that?