[Tkinter-discuss] Windows inaccessible while a module is running

Cameron Laird Cameron at phaseit.net
Wed Mar 5 18:34:55 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 06:09:46PM +0200, Amit Finkler wrote:
			.
			.
			.
> I wrote a simple GUI with tkinter which executes a function when
> pressing a button. When I press the button, the function indeed executes
> starts running itself (it's a loop which draws a graph using gnuplot).
> As long as the loop is running, I can't access the GUI - it's grayed
> out. Only when I break the loop can I properly see the GUI back again.
>

> Is this something you're familiar with or did I define the GUI improperly?
			.
			.
			.
Both.

The symptom you describe is very common with naive codings.
In general, an experienced Tkinter programmer can quickly
transform an application which behaves that way into a
responsive one.  Without seeing your specific code, it's
difficult to speculate exactly what the best approach is for
you; the main keywords in any answer, though, appear in <URL:
http://wiki.tcl.tk/1526 >.