[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter in Python 2.6 under MacOSX

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Nov 19 15:11:18 CET 2008

Michael O'Donnell wrote:
>> So running Tk 8.5 with python 2.6 under mac wasn't a problem for you ?
>> This is confusing me because the thread was about this, so I was
>> considering you were in the same boat.
>
> The problem of the strand is that the BINARY distribution of 2.6 doesn't work
> on Mac. If you download the source, switch two lines (the search
> path for tkinter libraries), then compile, it will work.
>
> My perception is that it is a bit crazy to expect every single
> user of python/tkinter or idle on the Mac to know how to compile
> C programs on the Mac, or to want to. Also, why have 100s of
> people fix a bug, when it could be fixed once and uploaded
> as a binary.
>
> Mick

Unfortunately, the pace of bug fixes in Python development is slow--it's
impossible to predict when a bug fix will get rolled into a new release.
  Unfortunately as well, some bug fixes are difficult, so you have
little choice but to wait for the core developer to fix them. (The bug
about Python scripts not running in Terminal when you double-clicked
them is an example here.)

One thing that you *don't* have to wait for is an updated build of
Python itself, if the only issue is how the build is linked. The
instructions I posted in the bug report at
http://bugs.python.org/issue4017 walk you through the process of
correctly building Python against Tk 8.5 on the Mac. They are very
simple. Comment out a line or to in the "configure.py" file, and then
run the build as usual. Here are the steps as outlined in the Mac README
file:

./configure --enable-universalsdk
make
sudo make install

This isn't rocket science. All the steps are worked out for you; all you
have to do is run the commands.

--Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer