[Tkinter-discuss] mtTkinter version 0.2 uploaded

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 17:54:34 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Guilherme Polo <ggpolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>ii) It doesn't use a busy loop in order to get the thread responsible
>>>for the interpreter, instead it will re-schedule the call as much as
>>>needed (tests needed for possible problems here)
>> By "re-schedule", do you mean to use a queuing techique, or do you plan on
>> indefinitely polling?
>
> On Tcl side a queue is always used, but on Python side you don't have
> these nice functions for enqueueing events for specific threads so I'm
> hoping that eventually (by using
> Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS/Py_END_ALLOW_THREADS or similar code) the
> thread I want will be used.

I was able to work on it more than I expected and now you can find the
first version of it at http://code.google.com/p/plumage/

There are probably many problems with it as it is right now, and there
are no examples there either, and no documentation.. well, good luck
in trying to use it =)
I have done some tests here but I need to rearrange them before
commiting, but they will appear there tomorrow or even today.
Regarding the documentation, well, it is almost an excuse but didn't
have the time to document it yet :P

I'm also planning to port the Tkinter python code to work with plumage.

Finally, anyone attempting to compile will almost surely have to hand
edit the Makefile (and of course you need the python-dev package for
your distribution -- not even mentioning Windows here, but if you want
to adapt the Makefile and something more to compile under Windows.. --
or a python compiled from source, you know).

Have fun,

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves