[Tkinter-discuss] How do I identify which menu item has bee selected?

Francesco Bochicchio bieffe62 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 16:15:34 CEST 2009

2009/8/19 Cameron Laird <Cameron at phaseit.net>

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:53:07AM +0200, Francesco Bochicchio wrote:
>                        .
>                        .
>                [much valuable detail]
>                         .
> > P.S : in case you don't know, unlike Java, Python has not a 'default
> widget
> > set', that you must use if you are coding in python.
> > Instead, you can use several among the most popular widget toolkits
> (Gtk+,
> > Qt, ... ), even Swing if you use the java version of python (Jython),
> which
> > is a bit behind as language version (stable supports Python 2.5, beta
> > supports Python 2.6).
> > Tkinter has the advantage of being bundled with python (for the others
> you
> > have to dounload and install additional modules) and surely is suitable
> for
> > many tasks, especially if for you functionality is more important than
> look
> > (although with a bit of effort Tk GUI can also look cool, see for
> instance
> > aMSN, a clone of mSN Messanger written using the same toolkit of Tkinter,
> > but not in Python).
>                         .
>                        .
>                        .
> I don't understand the distinction you're drawing between Python
> and Java.  What is Java's "default widget set"?  AWT?  JFC?  But
> what about, for example, Thinlet?

Since the OP seemed to link too close Python to Tkinter ( or at list I read
it that way ) I just wanted to clarify that Tkinter
is not the only choice when it comes to GUI in python. I draw the parallel
because last time I worked with Java (which was some time ago ) Swing was
almost the only option (with AWT being obsoleted and other bindings being
non-exixtent ).

Ciao
------
FB