[Tkinter-discuss] Python with Snack

chachachacha chao.albert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 07:42:48 CET 2009

Hi everyone.  Thanks for your responses!

So I did manage to get Snack installed.  It turned out to be a very simple
process (arg...).  As Russell points out, the binaries stopped at python
2.3.  However, as suggested by Michael, I was able to copy the snacklib into
the Tcl folder.  I then copied the tkSnack.py into the Lib folder.

Problem is, as Russell points out, Snack is out of date.  I was trying to
use it to do audio event analysis.  I wanted to use sound to detect when
heaters in a building would turn on.  With the help of Snack (the Wavesurfer
extension of snack), I have identified the frequencies produced when the
heaters turn on.  However, there seems to be no way of getting the actual
values of frequencies (at least, none that I could figure out)!

What I need still is a way to tell the computer:  Listen (as computers can
do this non-stop) until you hear the heaters turn on.  At this moment,
record the time and date.

I will take a look at pygame.
Thanks again for everyone's responses!
-Al