[Tkinter-discuss] event_generate question

Allen Taylor Allen.Taylor at mdacorporation.com
Wed Jan 28 22:54:11 CET 2009

I'm trying to generate some events in Tkinter but it doesn't seem to be working the way I expected. Here's an example of what I'm trying to do...

def click():
  print 'click'

from Tkinter import *
top=Tk()
b=Button(top, text='Hit me', command=click)

b.event_generate('<Button-1>', x=0, y=0)
b.event_generate('<ButtonRelease-1>', x=0, y=0)

The appearance of the button changes after the <Button-1> event (to depressed), and again after the <ButtonRelease-1> event (to normal again), but the associated button command (the click function) is not called. If I bind a function for the event to the button using the bind method, it gets called, but I really need the associated command to get called too.

Also, I tried doing this with a Pmw.ScrolledListBox with an associated dblclickcommand, so I tried to generate <Double-Button-1> and <Double-ButtonRelease-1> events, but to my surprise, I received the following error message for both cases:

_tkinter.TclError: Double or Triple modifier not allowed

These problems are getting in the way of my attempt to automate GUI testing with Tk. Am I missing something?

(Ok, I really don't need the first case, because I can simple call the button's invoke method. But in the second case, the associated action is only invoked via the double click action.)

Allen B. Taylor
MDA
9445 Airport Road
Brampton, ON  L6S 4J3