[Tkinter-discuss] python 3.1 - tkinter 8.4 - no tile?

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 17:13:43 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

> You're correct that ttk didn't come built-in to Tk until 8.5--hence the
> need for the Tile package with 8.4. I believe the most recent Tile package
> is 0.8 or 0.8.2, at the site you referenced.
>
> As for a compiler, install Apple's developer tools (Xcode and friends) and
> you'll have a working gcc. The dev tools are an optional install on the DVD,
> or can be downloaded from Apple.

Kevin, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have Xcode installed on one of my macs, but not on the laptop where I
meant to experiment with Py 3 and Tk.

I had hoped, since Tk is the default, expected, distributed-with-python GUI
framework (so says the python wiki) that it would "just work." On the
contrary, it appears that to make it work, I will have to install Xcode, and
figure out how to do an install of this package. And there are several
unknowns in that install, for OS X, beginning with, where in /Library to put
it, or if not in /Library, where? Wherever, I also have to edit my .login to
set PYTHONPATH appropriately so it can be found.

It seems to me this all amounts to quite a steep barrier for someone to
climb, just in order to try out the supposed default GUI.

To me, the really puzzling question is, since this has been the case for
several years (based on the history of the same error being encountered
repeatedly), why is the very latest Python apparently being distributed with
tkinter 8.4 but without tile?

Dave Cortesi