[Tkinter-discuss] Python Tkinter Simple Qn

Chris Chia chrischia82 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 01:48:36 CEST 2010

Hi i have the following problem with Python Tkinter.
I switch to switch the image background (which i used Tkinter.Label with
image arg to display on the GUI).

How can I do that? the callback function which i have created doesn't seem
to work...
some advice?

below is my code:

import Tkinter as tk
from PIL import Image, ImageTk

root = tk.Tk()

# having problem with switching the image
def callback(event):
    global root
    root.panel1.image = image2

def app():

    root.title('FIT 2022 Assignment 1')

    # pick an image file you have .bmp .jpg .gif. .png
    # load the file and covert it to a Tkinter image object
    imageFile = "c:\\test1.jpg"
    image1 = ImageTk.PhotoImage(Image.open(imageFile))
    imageFile2 = "c:\\test2.jpg"
    image2 = ImageTk.PhotoImage(Image.open(imageFile2))

    # get the image size
    w = image1.width()
    h = image1.height()

    # position coordinates of root 'upper left corner'
    x = 0
    y = 0

    # make the root window the size of the image
    root.geometry("%dx%d+%d+%d" % (w, h, x, y))

    # root has no image argument, so use a label as a panel
    panel1 = tk.Label(root, image=image1)
    panel1.pack(side='top', fill='both', expand='yes')
    panel1.image = image1
    panel1.bind("<Button-1>", callback)