[Tkinter-discuss] Recognizing buttons

Michael O'Donnell michael.odonnell at uam.es
Sun Aug 15 10:08:16 CEST 2010

Hi Guido,

> Is it possible to have a set of buttons, all calling to the same function, recognize which of the buttons was the one that call the function?

 One solution to your problem, using lambda to define the function call.

from Tkinter import *

def killBut(but):
    but.pack_forget()

tk = Tk()

but1=Button(tk, text="B1")
but1['command']=lambda b=but1: killBut(b)
but1.pack(side=LEFT)

but2=Button(tk, text="B2")
but2['command']=lambda b=but2: killBut(b)
but2.pack(side=LEFT)

tk.mainloop()