[Tkinter-discuss] Why can't I use the END index with my text widget in Tkinter?

irvinicus irvinicus at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 01:15:27 CET 2010

I'm using the text widget to give ongoing updates to the user.  When
something happens in the program, I want to add an update to the user in the
text widget.

But I can't figure out how to add each new update onto it's own new line.
I've looked through the documentation, but I don't see any methods that
would help me, so I figured I could just use the index END and use modifiers
on it, but no such luck.

Here's my script (my italics, obviously):

from Tkinter import *  # I import Tkinter into my Python script.

...  # Blah blah blah

mytextbox.insert(END + 1 lines, textfordisplay)
# The interpreter stops and tells me that lines is "invalid syntax".

Any suggestions?  Thanks for reading?