[Tkinter-discuss] Off Topic : Tkinter in everyday life

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Sat Dec 18 14:08:58 CET 2010

Hi,

Thus spoketh craf <prog at vtr.net>
unto us on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 23:07:59 -0300:

> Hi everyone.!
>
> I apologize in advance, since English is not my native language and
> some things can not understand and misinterpret.
>
> Very recently I found Python and Tkinter. Needless to say, I find a tool
> Tkinter extremely cool and functional, which I am discovering little by
> little every day.
>
> One question that comes to me, is why very few people work with this
> tool?

I guess that many people miss features like drag'n'drop, pixmaps themes
and so on. I know that a lot of people used to complain about Tk's look
and feel and, compared to other toolkits, poor set of core widgets, which
however has been greatly improved with ttk in the core.

> Anyone know of companies that use in their development.?

At least one famous "company" uses Tkinter:

http://dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov/software/Python/

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1045764.html

I guess that Tkinter has its place where reliability, stability and quick
coding count rather than on our home-pc's desktops, where eye-candy
rules :)

> Does anyone know which projects or developmental pathway of Tkinter.?
>
> Well, I hope not to be taken the wrong way my questions and happy
> weekend to all!

The same to you!

Regards

Michael

One of the advantages of being a captain is being able to ask for
advice without necessarily having to take it.
		-- Kirk, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.2