[Tkinter-discuss] Using 3rd party Tk/Tcl libraries with Python/Tkinter

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Mon Dec 20 18:18:00 CET 2010

>From time to time I've seen Tkinter developers reference 3rd party
Tk/Tcl libraries. Some examples are the PMW widgets, TkDnd, and TkTable.

Here are some questions about these 3rd party components from the
perspective of a Python developer new to Tkinter (without any Tk/Tcl
experience):

1. Do these 3rd party components require compilation via a C compiler or
is there a repository with pre-compiled components for each platform?

2. Are there issues related to what version of Python a developer is
using, eg. each release of Python uses a different version of Tk/Tcl?

3. Where do these component's library files get placed on Windows,
Linux, and Mac OS's?

What I understand so far is that one must find or create Python wrapper
code in order to use 3rd party Tk/Tcl libraries. After that I'm stuck ;)

BTW: My personal interest is in solutions that work with Python 2.7 for
Windows but I thought I'd ask this question in a way that all Python
developers might benefit.

Thank you,
Malcolm