[Tkinter-discuss] TkAqua issue: are threaded Python applications still possible on OS X?

sarah.nason at utoronto.ca sarah.nason at utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 24 18:44:55 CET 2010

Hallo,

For the last few weeks, I've been trying to fix a problem with the OS
X port of a program I'm working on, PyGraphics; since I've had no
luck, I'm here in search of your expertise.

PyGraphics is a multithreaded module designed to be imported into and
used in computer science students' programs. It works fine on Windows
and Linux, and it used to function on OS X, too - but the release of
Snow Leopard put an end to that. TkAqua does not permit mainloop() to
be run on background threads, and since Wing (the IDE of choice for my
university) is running the application, all threads related to
PyGraphics are background threads by definition.

Has anyone found any workarounds for this problem? I've looked into
TkX11, and have recompiled Tcl/Tk with the --disable-aqua and --with-x
configuration options, but that didn't help. There is a suggestion
that the version of Python that ships with Snow Leopard doesn't play
well with that version of Tk, but I've not found much documentation to
confirm or deny that possibility. Right now, the most viable option
appears to be rewriting the program to offer an unthreaded version to
Mac students, but that's just sad.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

-- Sarah Nason