[Tkinter-discuss] after and after_idle

Cameron Laird Cameron at phaseit.net
Mon May 17 23:25:05 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:17:31PM +0200, Geoff Bache wrote:
			.
			.
			.
> Thanks for the tip, hadn't occurred to me to look for Tcl/Tk
> documentation. It didn't really answer the question though and I must
> admit I don't speak Tcl so didn't really follow the example (which
> looked to me like it nested a call to "after" inside a call to
> "after_idle", why would you want to do that?)
			.
			.
			.
I quote two Masters of Tk:

    Idles run until the idle queue is drained.  If
    an [after idle] reschedules itself endlessly, it
    hangs the event loop.  [after idle [after 0 ...]]
    causes the idle to schedule a timer event that's
    immediately ready, so the rescheduled callback is
    NOT an idle event and the event loop can make
    progress.

    idle events are critical to doing a good job of a
    GUI; [I have] no idea if they are useful for
    anything else ...

One of us needs to write this in readable English.  I know *I* am already
backed up ...