[Tkinter-discuss] Control position of Tkinter common dialogs?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Wed Oct 27 13:07:40 CEST 2010

Hi Matt,

> I have a similar issue, however not for common dialogs but for a custom
toplevel transient dialogs. As you create your dialog it's dimensions
are not known until all idletasks have completed for child widgets being
added to the dialog.

Disclaimer: I'm new to Tkinter development so take this untested idea
with a grain of salt ...

Have you tried positioning your toplevel window off screen (negative
coordinates) so that it can be fully rendered (and you can capture its
dimensions after all layout calculations have completed), then center
your window afterwards?

If you come up with a working solution, I would love to hear about it.
I'll do the same from my end.

Malcolm