[Tkinter-discuss] How to Handle Selected Item Event of ListBox

Behseini suffii at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:23:59 CET 2011

Hi,
Gribouillis, helped me to understand how to invoke a function by btn click
event handler, at my last post.Now I am trying to understand how I can
handle an selected item event from a list box?
lets say I have a list box like below and I want to call a method to change
the frame background color based on which item has been selected

from Tkinter import *

class App:
   def __init__(self, parent):
    self.myParent = parent
    self.fm = Frame(parent)
    self.fm.pack_propagate(0)
    self.fm.pack()

    self.Lb1 = Listbox(self.fm,height=4, width=15,selectbackground="orange")
    self.Lb1.insert(1, "Red")
    self.Lb1.insert(2, "Green")
    self.Lb1.insert(3, "Blue")
    self.Lb1.pack()

   def make_Red(self):
        self.fm.configure(bg="RED")

   def make_Blue(self):
        self.fm.configure(bg="BLUE")

   def make_Green(self):
        self.fm.configure(bg="GREEN")

root = Tk()
root.title ("Color Option")
root.geometry("%dx%d%+d%+d" % (300, 200, 0, 0))
app = App(root)
root.mainloop()

can you please take a look at this code and let me know how I can call one
of the method by selecting the item from the list?
Thanks