[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter and Alt bindings

Russell Adams RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.Com
Wed Feb 8 14:51:21 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 11:56:32AM +0100, Michael Lange wrote:
> Hi,
> Thus spoketh Russell Adams <RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.Com>
> unto us on Tue, 7 Feb 2012 18:43:42 -0600:
> > Can anyone here contribute to the problem documented at:
> >
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9096341/binding-buttons-to-alt-keypresses
> >
> I cannot reproduce this here (debian squeeze with IceWM) either, the
> return "break" isn't even necessary. I believe this is either a bug in
> Tk, maybe version-specific, or (seems more likely to me) a bug in the
> window manager you are using.
> A while ago I had a problem with (iirc) the handling of modal windows
> with Tk and IceWM - other Gui Toolkits worked with IceWM and other WMs did
> not show the problem with Tk (much as what you observe now), so I think
> this does not prove anything. Back then I filed a bug report to the IceWM
> developers and they fixed it within a few days, so I think a bug report
> might be worth a try.

I'd love to find a way to trace what's happening, but I'm not familiar
enough with Tkinter.

I started checking xmodmap and pursuing the xev avenue, but cannot
explain the behavior.

At this I'm isolating that not everyone has this issue.

Russell Adams                            RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.com