[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter Windows don't appear under MacOSX Lion

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed May 23 13:00:51 CEST 2012

On 5/23/12 5:11 AM, Michael O'Donnell wrote:
> This makes an application, test.app, which, when double clicked,
> brings up the application menubar, but no window. If I apple-tab
> and then apple-tab again (to return to this app), the window appears.

I was able to reproduce the issue on my Lion system (running Python
2.7.3, linked to system Tk 8.5.9).

Since I saw no issues with your code, and I don't see these issues in my
own, similarly-built Tkinter apps (wrapped with py2app), I looked to see
where our setups differed. The only thing I noticed was that you set
argv_emulation to true in your setup.py file.

Turning off argv_emulation seems to rectify the issue, at least on my
system. The wrapped app launches and the toplevel window displays as

If you require argv_emulation for some reason, then you may want to file
a py2app bug on the MacPython mailing list. Otherwise, can you get by
without it? What purpose is it serving in your own apps?

Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin