[Tkinter-discuss] displaying an image

Lynn Oliver raycores at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 21:11:54 CEST 2012

I should be the one to apologize; I included code that is required for packages created by pyinstaller, which is a tool that will take a Python script and turn it into a self-contained executable.  Let me try again:

import Tkinter as tk
import ttk

    photo = tk.PhotoImage(file='myImageFile.gif'))
    myLabel = ttk.Label(self.myFrame, image=self.photo)
    myLabel.grid()

This is just the Tkinter code.  I have "tk.PhotoImage()" instead of just "PhotoImage()" because of the way I imported Tkinter.  Most examples will probably show this:

from Tkinter import *

so you would not need the "tk." prefix.  I prefer to keep the namespaces separate.

I use "ttk.Label()" instead of "tk.Label()" because I like the newer ttk widgets better.